Tuesday 13 October 2015

Twenties

As I head further into my twenties, I've been thinking more on what I've discovered so far in life.  It's quite difficult to narrow down all these little (and big) discoveries into a short list that is honestly impactful.  And so I decided to challenge myself to shorten it to only three ideas that have changed how I think and live.

1. Treat yourself as you would treat your closest friend.

When someone I love is experiencing something difficult, I give them the space they need to recover. If their heart is broken, or they've made a mistake, I walk alongside them without judgment.  Yet when my heart is broken, I have tended to treat myself without that same compassion which I needed.  It hasn't been until the last couple years that I've finally come to this truth - I was given a body and mind made with purpose, and I should treat it like so, just as I treat those I love.  It's been a long process, but I've come to the point where I do take care of myself in that way.  I keep Sunday's open just for me, where I sleep in, go to church, eat brunch (I love brunch), and do whatever I feel like enjoying on that day.  To give yourself an entire day each week makes such a difference.  

2. Filter people out of your life who add no value to it.

I have always been the type of person who hates to start conflict, even when it means allowing myself to be repeatedly hurt and disappointed.  I love to give people second chances, and third and fourth and ninth and twenty-seventh chances.  But keeping these individuals in my close circle makes my circle shaky and breakable.  Letting go of these individuals, and moving forward with openness to the possibility of new people, makes for a solider circle.  If you let in the right people, they will add so much value to your life, and your life will thank you for it.  

3. Challenge yourself to be better.  

When I say, "to be better," I mean to be the most genuine, authentic, messily beautiful person you can be.  Sitting stagnant just won't give the same results.  While I do give myself permission to be a bit messy, I do analyze and reflect on where I could improve.  There are so many things you can do to help with this.  Personally, I love self-help books.  If you catch me at Chapters, there's a pretty good chance I'll be browsing the self-help section (much to many of my friends amusement).  But I think there are some really smart and enlightened people out there who have a lot to offer, and who have thankfully offered it publicly.  

And you know what?  I think I'll just have to add one more, I can't help myself...

4. Don't take the little things too seriously.  

Cheers!

- Carlee

No comments:

Post a Comment